Monday, November 2, 2009

Mommy, Dontcha Cry




Today was a big day for my Princess. My mom in law came and picked her up so she could spend the week with them! They live in Wrightsville which is 2 hours away from our house. My inlaw's are wonderful and Sydney doesn't get to spend as much time with them as she does family here. So last night I went through the gruelling task of packing her suite case. This process took me 5 hours! I had to wash clothes, iron them and go through last years winter clothes to see what still fit. Until recently, Sydney hasn't been one to venture too terribly far away from me. So when I talked to her about going I said, "Sydney, would you like to go spend some time with Mamaw and Papaw?" Her sweet reply was simply, "yep." I said, "Do you know that mommy and daddy are staying here and mamaw is coming to pick you up?" After giving me a look of "duh" she responded, "yep, I goes by myselfes."
That let me know she was ready. So we finished packing, got her in bed and she was up and at 'em first thing this morning waiting at the window for mamaw.


After breakfast and getting dressed, she reminded me she needed to put her Dora pillow and her monkey "Suzie Q" in her suitecase. When I knew my mom in law was seconds away I told Sydney I loved her and hugged her and she looked up at me and said, "mommy, dontcha cry, ima gonna see the moo cows!"
"Mamaw" arrived shortly after and she walked herself to the car and I buckled her in quickly, came in and watched out the window as the car made it down the road.


After she left, the house was oddly quiet until I began sobbing like a baby!
I realized something today. My "baby" is growing up. She doesn't need me in the same ways that she did at one time.
She still needs my love, my attention, my kisses when she gets a "boo boo", my "doubled" eggs (deviled eggs), and my arms to hold her when she needs to be comforted.
She is breaking away and entering a new stage of independence. I am so proud of her today, as I am everyday that we are blessed to see. No matter how far away she is or where she goes, she will always be my "baby."
This week is going to be very tough for me, but when I get upset I will remember her little eyes looking up at me saying, "Mommy, dontcha cry."

2 comments: